Sunday 13 November 2011

Moving on ...

      After flirting with the idea of heading for South Africa and then making my way home, I came to my senses and realized I may never physically or otherwise have the chance to come here and continue on, so I decided to see everything I can now.
      I am now enjoying the Indian Ocean off the coast of Tanzania and  the new plan is to spend some time in the country seeing Zanzibar, Kilimanjaro, and eventually head to Kenya making a loop around lake Victoria into Uganda, Rwanda, then back into Tanzania, and then eventually south to South Africa. That's the plan.
      I am doing better after the bout of malaria. BUT as I sit here and type, there are over 30 mosquito bites on my right hand...ugh! And another 30 or more bites from a few days ago on my shoulder...ugh! And I have a smelly foot that they seem to enjoy biting also.
      LOL: Friends in Issaquah reminded me that they don't have malaria there ! Thanks, but I do like to gamble from time to time.
My Slovenia friend Peter is now home. I expected travel to take a change as I went east,  but in East Africa the tour bus trail has constantly crossed my path and there is never a shortage of travelers to exchange information with as I head north.

Esther cooking my eggs.

Some university students hanging out at the beach for the weekend.
       
A mountain "lodge" out house.. . Just step up and lift the lid, remove the cloth
that keeps the fliess out and have a seat.
When done, add a handful of leaves , and 1/2 a cup of ashes before putting
the lid & cloth back.
This practice is also used in a lot of villages.


If the bike and my health stay above 50% I expect to complete my journey early next year !









1 comment:

  1. Good to hear your voice today, Garth, even if the connection was a bit rough. Glad you're safe and recovering well. I thought we might see you back before Christmas, but you're there, might as well see it all.
    stay away from the mosquitoes!
    Octavian and Michele

    ReplyDelete